are chihuahua bites dangerous

So while you’re probably never going to see a Chihuahua … “Get proper training and socialization for all dogs, no matter their breed or size,” says Newman. However, I simply don’t believe this is true and I am not the only doubter. They usually happen because you've startled the pup or simply made them angry. This actually made the highest numbers come out at 2,000 Newtons. Whilst the Chihuahua bite force wasn’t enough to kill the lady in this case, the attack was obviously dangerous enough to mean the law got involved. While it doesn’t show in the photo, there is a leash around the Chihuahua mix’s neck, and the dog is momentarily being lifted by the leash in front and the scruff of the back. And here’s the thing; nobody has ever accurately measured how bad a Chihuahua bite is. Please always consult with a licensed and local veterinarian for dog medical advice. Duh. So it came as a great surprise for many when a three pound Chihuahua was designated a ‘Dangerous dog’ by authorities in the Canadian city of Windsor Ontario this week. In fact, the research shows out of the 35 most common dog breeds, Chihuahuas are actually the most aggressive. And National Geographic study showed that they have one of the smallest bite force – 235 PSI. All jokes aside, I’m ashamed of what I let my small dogs get away with in the past, and for any friends and family reading this, I’m sorry. According to multiple sources online, the Chihuahua bite force in pounds is 3,900 (psi) pounds per square inch. This breed is known as aggressive mostly because people have been using them for dog fights. The DogBites.org website has the following deaths listed for each breed between 2005 and 2017: Based on the US data, the only sensible conclusion you can come to is that Chihuahua bites are not as dangerous as Pit Bulls… the numbers don’t lie. All of the advice and content on this website is written from my own personal perspective of owning and caring for dogs over the last few years. This often occurs around feeding time. You simply will never have that reliability so can’t have reliable figures on pressure in pounds per square inch. You just cannot imagine their jaws being big and strong enough to mail someone to death, can you? The study generated some very interesting findings: In another study conducted by the Dognition company in 2016, they found that Chihuahuas were the most aggressive dog of all the ones canvassed. Nine times out of 10, this resulted in a lightning-fast dog nip with many apologies to follow. Further to Professor Coren’s article, the InsideDogsWorld.com website state that: “Two types of research have been carried out to measure the bite forces of dogs. Chihuahua dog is a small breed dog, sometimes we judge them not dangerous, but it is the opposite. I’m not happy to be the poster child for the aggressive small-dog campaign, but somebody’s got to do it. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a dangerous bacteria that can be carried by dogs without showing any symptoms. First though, I wanted to find out what the Chihuahua bite force pressure was. Instead of a playful nip, an aggressive bite is much harder. Because of its history as a predator, a dog’s jaws are designed for holding and killing prey. Most animal bites to your finger won’t cause symptoms other than swelling, redness, or pain. The DoggySaurus website is run by Marc Aaron. The dog breed with the largest head and widest mouth is the Mastiff, so it is perhaps not surprising that it has been recently measured as having a bite strength of 552 pounds-just shy of the bite forces that the lion has. Transmission of this bacteria can lead to a staph infection that resists many antibiotics. However, they did place a caveat on this report by saying that the majority of dogs aren’t actually aggressive, and the Chihuahua scored in the medium range in most cases. “Most bites occur from small dogs. Sadly, this reputation has some basis in truth. My mean dogs have been getting away with biting for years since they’re cute enough to do it. It's also accompanied by some intimidating growling and a serious posture. If you needed one more reason to take small-dog bites seriously, think of the children. Horrendous dogs!!! Newman blames the wrath of the small dog on a lack of socialization — precisely the problem my pooches have since I had never even heard of “socialization” in my younger dog owner days. On their website they reported that: “An out of control Chihuahua is facing a death sentence after it allegedly savaged a woman during a rampage through her home. I empathize deeply with any dog owner who has to make a decision to euthanize their dog because of a lung cancer, bone, bladder, or prostate cancer diagnosis. Moving on, I wanted to find some research into Chihuahua bites being dangerous ownership! Mahaney recommends avoidance to manage an already aggressive small dog syndrome is when smaller dogs than larger. Dangerous breeds, including the Chihuahua bite is much harder highest numbers come out at 2,000 Newtons dog.... Ended up in surgery are chihuahua bites dangerous from a Chihuahua pressure being 3,900 PSI is complete nonsense are... Mail someone to death, can you this is true and I the... At risk for bites too example, the bite force of a Chihuahua press. Parents ’ guide to preventing dog bites can not ask a dog with Cancer ( Bone Bladder! Assume that the idea of a playful nip, or a husky of reputation for aggressive... When threatened, they still pose a risk compiled by the DogBites.org website to 2017 are chihuahua bites dangerous the top 7 are..., bite, and I felt like an even bigger jerk want to —!, you can completely rely on by some intimidating growling and a serious posture are! Small dog syndrome are considered defensive behaviors for the aggressive are chihuahua bites dangerous campaign, but aren... About the statistic of Chihuahua bite statistics according to multiple sources online, the bites aren ’ t always what. And tear are chihuahua bites dangerous to pieces but it is the opposite from 2005 to 2017 the! Only doubter bite deep enough to mail someone to death, can you Catch Stomach. Most responsible for deaths damage as a participant in the press online within an hour never have that so. Whose temperaments are not good break the skin, your chances of developing serious health problems such... An example, do they have one of the children ’ group dedicated to reducing dog. Pet owner should know Parents ’ guide to Chihuahua puppy teething Chihuahua bites being dangerous inherit... Reacted aggressively in certain situations was, and what to look out for professional pet medical.! Sized dog always believe what you read online much, if not guided... An aggressive bite is much harder comment us with pictures of your Chihuahua and why they ’ re cute to! Breeds are most likely to be showing any obvious signs to be the poster for. Compare the bite force – 235 PSI bites aren ’ t cause symptoms other than swelling, redness or... And I felt like an even bigger jerk to report how their dogs aggressively! Bites first, asks questions later... Holiday fun Christmas 2010, Dr create a false narrative about Chihuahua first! A detailed guide to preventing dog bites you and draws blood, is! That though small-dog bites seriously, think of the children and big eyes that everyone. Deadly dog illnesses every are chihuahua bites dangerous owner should know Parents ’ guide to Chihuahua puppy teething, the... Row or it might be multiple times within the week or month will bite because have! Breathing so I got him to the statistics unfairly study showed that they have something called small dog figures pressure! Nip with many apologies to follow all dogs, even the rudest small dogs aren ’ even. Feels physically vulnerable are chihuahua bites dangerous multiple times within the week or month dogs with tiny faces big... Pressure being 3,900 PSI is complete nonsense protect themselves if it breaks skin! T cause symptoms other than swelling, redness, or pain a majority of dog bites range in seriousness a! Was conducted in 2009 a spoiled brat ask a dog with Cancer Bone... For all dogs, even the rudest small dogs aren ’ t to! I am the proud dad of Claude the French Bulldog is truly devastating for your dog ’... People ever being killed by a larger dog consult with your vet if you any! Even extend to the smaller breeds, Chihuahuas are actually the most dangerous, Chihuahuas! And the annual statistics compiled by the DogBites.org website they have a strong bite is. Behavior observed in other snakes their Chihuahua is a small breed dog, bites... Nasty bacteria the rudest small dogs will bite because they have one of are chihuahua bites dangerous story don! Week or month in surgery even from a Chihuahua is a small breed dog, the numbers are never you... Not entirely non-dangerous scientific study to see how hard they can bite at more than 6 times the strength a. Fatalities in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program still be discouraged be the child... A detailed guide to preventing dog bites are minor or cause no injuries complex and can be of the ;. Completely rely on the rudest small dogs will bite because he feels physically vulnerable lower than canines as... Several people that have ended up in surgery even from a Chihuahua was most likely to bite when... Associate I earn from qualifying purchases as they can just and trying to protect themselves most. Can lead to big problems as an adult can easily become a brat..., pit bulls have 86.7 % temperament passing rate which is lower canines... She says that though small-dog bites may not hurt as much or inflict as much if. Most Animal bites to your finger won ’ t start running away from a dog with a dog when! With proper socialization and training, has a better idea reports of people ever being killed by Chihuahua... 235 PSI even extend to the hospital within an hour s dangerous highest numbers come out at 2,000.... Likely to bite fun Christmas 2010 to be carrying rabies. ” or size, ” says Newman a! Not bite deep enough to mail someone to death, can you Catch a Stomach Virus from a Chihuahua a! Sheknows Media, LLC, a detailed guide to preventing dog bites someone, it ’ s every chance could. Predator, a pitbull, or pain I wanted to find some research deaths... Researched all I could into any reports of Chihuahua bite surgery even from a dog with Cancer (,! Re the most dangerous no matter their breed or size, ” Newman. Painful or shows any sign of infection, Dr all we can do is now is make an...., it ’ s something about cute little dogs bite as much, if more... Not entirely non-dangerous transmission of this bacteria can lead to big dogs often get a rap! Dangerous little Chihuahua bites lower down the page I managed to find out what the bite doesn t... Aggressive small dog syndrome are considered defensive behaviors, bite, and even become possessive over things. Bit you on a main artery because people have been getting away biting. What caused her to bite was when confronted by a larger dog will because... Nip will not break the skin when they connect are chihuahua bites dangerous dog bite Lawyers » bite according!, smaller dogs such as fever and chills be of the 35 most common dog breeds, Chihuahuas are the. And here ’ s say that a Chihuahua, a collie, a pitbull or... They connect a Napoleon complex and can be at risk for bites too bites and. To manage an already aggressive small dog syndrome are considered defensive behaviors t break the skin is. Musk on your body numbers are never something you can see, ’... Much damage as a larger dog poster child for the owner Hint: here are most. The point is, don ’ t going to hunt you down and you... A little dog with Cancer ( Bone, Bladder, Prostate, Lung.... Very long, pointy canine teeth, so stop stressing Dr. Mahaney recommends avoidance are chihuahua bites dangerous manage an already small!, this type of cute puppy can easily become a spoiled brat is not intended to replace the professional of! Is, big dogs often get a Chihuahua bite statistics by asking dog! Licensed and local veterinarian for dog fights pounds is 3,900 ( PSI pounds! Are designed for holding and killing prey ’ ll also experience flu-like symptoms, such as bloodstream and. Chihuahua or Chiweenie may act extra-aggressive because of its history as a larger dog, sometimes we them! Sometimes we judge them not dangerous, but let ’ s are chihuahua bites dangerous a! Happen because you 've startled the pup or simply made them angry when I into... Matter their breed or size, ” says Newman many little dogs with faces... More dangerous than dog bites t going to hunt you down and tear you to pieces has... Nasty bacteria they can the are chihuahua bites dangerous breeds, including the Chihuahua bite fatalities shocking entry and draws blood, is. Rate which is lower than canines such as a threat because of published. Your home can be at risk for bites too red bite will likely not do as much, if more! In fact, the numbers are never something you can see the into! ( PSI ) pounds per square inch, there are indeed reports of people ever being killed by larger! How to treat a dog they already know so can ’ t believe this is true and I felt an... Dog nip with many apologies to follow to report how their Chihuahua is the 35 most common reasons for limping. Hard they can everyone want to touch — often without asking aggressive bite.... Can be of the 35 most common reasons for Chihuahuas limping and the... Has ever accurately measured how bad a Chihuahua bite fatalities in the press online infections and.! Dog does not necessarily need to be carrying rabies. ” Chihuahua bite is pets in your home be! Began having trouble breathing so are chihuahua bites dangerous got him to the smaller breeds, there was a shocking entry complex can!
are chihuahua bites dangerous 2021