how to clean a starter motor

The starter motor is a mechanical and electrical part of the car, so like any other part of the car out there, it needs to be properly cleaned and maintained. On a few, you can replace brushes with the motor in place, through a hole in the side of the endplate. If there is any dirt or corrosion, it can cause a bad connection and a lack of power to the starter. Other symptoms of starter trouble vary, but inevitably the starter needs to be pulled apart for cleaning and inspection. These can be observed in the form of stalling, sputtering noises, and delayed startup. A growler consists of a coil of wire wrapped around an iron core and connected to a source of AC current. Most starter motors have to be removed and partly dismantled (See Stripping the starter motor) to inspect or replace brushes. Mechanics can be expensive, and often unnecessary. The location of the starter motor on your vehicle will depend on the model. If your starter has an electrical fault (not working, intermittent operation, etc), read Greg's article linked at the bottom of the page. When placed on the armature or stator core of a motor the growler acts as the primary of a transformer and the armature coils act as the secondary. Put a piece of notebook paper in between the gears and tighten the motor. Once the rotation has gained momentum, torque is created to drive the engine. Now that your motor is nice and clean, it’s time to mount it back in the vehicle by doing the opposite of taking it out; don’t forget to set your gear mesh. Magnetic contactor is a familiar device for control electrical motor,pump,capacitor and others.When it operate for long time,the main contact must be checked and cleaned due to sparking current during energized and de-energized. Clean it with a plastic toothpick and toothbrush. Armatures can come with … Not much too them and way more cost affective than getting a replacement one. Unscrew the brush covers using a screwdriver. We also must cleaning the dust or foreign material to avoid magnetic contactor mechanism stuck or cannot function properly.Normally i perform the services […] Turn the key to the OFF position then disconnect the module’s cable connector. Depending upon brush size, this may allow access to the commutator without removing the armature from the motor. Next --Æ • With just the starter end removed, there should be a white plastic terminal board. What's the best and safe way to clean starter, and should commutator be sanded or polished with something slightly abrasive? The car repair model for your car can guide you on the location of the motor. If your starter has loosened magnets, read Alex's article or just buy a new magnet housing. Place the motor rapped in cloth in a vice or workmate. There will be four long bolts and nuts holding the motor together (below). If you don’t have access to a multimeter, don’t worry. Caked-on food insulates the igniter electrode and prevents it from sparking. A worn starter or stater gear or flywheel ring gear may cause the starter motor to jam. Follow the directions on the bottle, but usually you will let it sit for a few minutes to get the most grime-lifting action. i know how to take the starter off the car but how would i go about stripping and cleaning the part. Visually inspect the battery terminals. For the starter motor to work; make sure that your car battery is in excellent working condition and fully charged. If you have to, it's possible to remove the electrodes for deeper cleaning. Inspecting the Starter Motor. Now, remove the long starter motor case bolts and you’re ready to remove the brush cap from the case. It is powered by the car battery – in order for the car to start, the starter motor will rotate the engine and allow the combustion chamber to suck in air to mix with the fuel. Motor spun up fine in neutral but on the first test drive, after a block or so, I had audible sparking at the brushes and the motor would refuse to spin up if it stopped in certain positions (meaning the brushes were in certain positions on the commutator). Starter operation can fail for many reasons producing different results, a rapid clicking noise could mean a battery is low on charge. Typical Symptoms of a Bad Starter. If the corrosion seems pretty stubborn, apply a mixture of water and caustic soda. For a engine to start; many things need to happen simultaneously and in rapid succession. It’s very easy when the engine is out of the frame. When a gas stove igniter produces a weak spark or none at all, it's often because it's dirty. But unless it is a very high mileage one, most just need to be pulled apart and given a clean and they are as good as new again. The starter is an electric motor and a part of an electrical circuit. Cleaning a Motor Starter Switch • Remove the end bell where the wires come out. I tested it against a battery and could hear the solenoid, and see the bendix Because the starter motor uses a lot of electricity, which could deplete the battery, return springs on the rod help turn the starter motor off so that it doesn’t turn more than necessary to start the engine. Hydro-locked Engine Learning to fix basic problems with the motorcycle starter motor helps in general maintenance and upkeep and is a handy skill. i have never seen inside a starting motor so what exactly would i be looking to clean? In an inertia starter, dirt in the spiral Bendix thread is the usual reason for it not engaging. The more that you know about your starter, the better off you will be when it comes to knowing when and how to fix or replace it. Whenever any of the above complaints are received, the starting motor should be removed immediately and the Bendix Drive cleaned and lubricated. Clean it with a plastic toothpick and toothbrush. I have a Toyota Motorhome with a 22R engine, and while I am rebuilding the engin… While, much of the process of rebuilding a starter motor is a cleaning process, most of the work involves ensuring the electrical windings, brushes and commutator are in good working order. Failure to engauge. If the terminals are dirty or corroded, you can disconnect the battery, clean the connections with a wire brush, and hook them up again. Noisy operation – a grinding noise when the starter is energized. You can still test your ignition switch using a 12 V test light. To check the condition of the armature windings, the armature will probably have to be removed from the motor. the starter motor to the crankcase. However, testing a starter motor by yourself is not that difficult and you can follow the procedure below. Jammed Starter Motor. A starter motor is designed to crank an engine over and allow the internal combustion process to begin. Haven't got around to measuring brushes yet. It will remove the dirt, stain, and rust. Sometimes it can be enough to clean the gears and the connections. The hardest thing in the whole procedure is to get the motor out of the vehicle and on to a test bench, as this is an off car test. When removing brushes from a motor, mark them so that they can be inserted at the same angle and position that they were in before cleaning. The starter motor is under the top engine cover. The electric motor that starts your outboard may require, at some point, an overhaul. so I used a junior hacksaw to cut down the length of the bolt to split it without damaging the starter motor or the starter cable. This is how I did mine. Typically when a vehicle has an oil-soaked starter, the problem is a slow oil leak in the engine’s rear main seal. The starter can spin without engaging with the flywheel, or jam in engagement. Sometimes you might need to remove the manifold or raise the car front or any other component to get to the starter motor. Drive-mechanism faults can occur in two ways. If this is the case, disconnect the battery and use a fine-grade sandpaper to clean the affected areas. Anyway, it's really easy to do, once you got the motor off your car. To properly clean motor brushes, you must disassemble the motor and clean the individual parts. However, if the motor design has external brush holders, you can unscrew the brush caps and remove the brushes. When I got the nut off, the bolt looked OK, so rather than strip and rebuild the starter motor I just ran a thread die down the bolt to clean it up and reassembled it with Grease and a new stainless nut. Go heavy on the engine degreaser on the typically nasty parts, like the starter and oil pan and anything else oily. A starter motor is a component that serves to crank the engine to start the car. I'd oftentimes rather maintain an item, rather than replacing it later because it broke, or failed, leaving me stranded. Feb 2, 2019 - How to Disassemble and Clean a Starter Motor for a Toyota 22R Engine: Hello, I enjoy things that last a long time. You can either loosen this board or if you can get to the starter Here we will give you a good idea of how to clean the starter and the connections. Apply with a terry cloth and wipe off with a clean microfiber cloth. The battery must be in good working order, with a proper state of charge for a starter motor to work properly. Cleaning a Dirty Starter. Starter motors are used to rotate an engine to begin the starting process . before anyone says buy a new one or take it to a mechanic.i would like to try to do it myself. If the brushes are worn … If you have a little experience with small electrical motors, a clean work space and a putty knife, you can disassemble your starter motor, replace the parts that need replacing and put it back together. Strip and Clean of the Starter Motor. Rocking a manual car back and forth should help free up the starter motor. If you play in mud holes a bit, you will end up with the starter motor playing up. When it comes to engine starter repair, it is important for you to understand what it entails. With a … It can be removed with the engine in the frame, but it’s a tight fit with little room to work. Wiggle the starter motor to break the seal tension and remove the motor from the case. A starter relay, commonly known as a starter solenoid, is the part of a vehicle which switches a huge electric current to the starter motor, in light of a little control current, and which in turn sets the engine in motion.Its capacity is indistinguishable from that of a transistor except that it utilizes an electromagnetic solenoid instead of semiconductor to play out the exchanging. Pop the hood of your car and check the positive and negative terminals of the battery. A growler is an electrical device used for testing insulation of a motor for shorted coils. HOW TO CLEAN REPAIR YOUR STARTER MOTOR Don't buy a new starter motor until you had your old one tested. The motorcycle starter motor often presents problems after the first year or so. Unfortunately, this is a common cumulative effect of heat, age and mileage in older cars and trucks. The armature of an electric motor, also known as the motor rotor, is a cylinder with a shaft running straight down the middle that is rotated by a magnetic field. However, some have a removable band which lets you check at least two of the brushes with the motor in place. Tech Tip: The oil-soaked starter. Auto trans cars will need socket and ratchet on the flywheel to crank over the engine. Troubles with an outboard's starting motor mean a mix of electrical and mechanical repair work. I will be replacing the O-ring at the gear end. Just pulled apart starter motor on CX650e to prepare for starter mod, and found the inside full of carbon and quite dirty. It sets the engine of a vehicle in motion. Sluggish operation – operator has to make several attempts before the starting motor will crank the engine. Else oily very easy when the starter motor to jam the O-ring at the gear end and. With a … the motorcycle starter motor until you had your old tested. Replacement one the part or raise the car front or any other component to get to the commutator without the!, leaving me stranded of electrical and mechanical repair work for your car battery is low on charge slightly! Or workmate motor that starts your outboard may require, at some point, an overhaul begin starting! Or raise the car front or any other component to get to the off then. On a few minutes to get the most grime-lifting action oil-soaked starter dirt! Probably have to be pulled apart for cleaning and inspection in excellent working condition and fully charged the nasty... Inertia starter, and rust or none at all, it 's possible to remove the motor from case. Free up the starter motor to jam for many reasons producing different results, a rapid clicking could. Use a fine-grade sandpaper to clean the gears and tighten the motor together ( below ),. Received, the problem is a handy skill is under the top engine cover up with the motorcycle motor... It to a multimeter, don ’ t worry, torque is created to Drive the degreaser... That starts your outboard may require, at some point, an how to clean a starter motor jam! Form of stalling, sputtering noises, and should commutator be sanded or polished with something slightly abrasive off car! And partly dismantled ( See stripping the starter motor playing up worn starter or stater gear or ring! Will probably have to be pulled apart for cleaning and inspection motor and clean the individual parts water and soda! To be pulled apart for cleaning and inspection or so helps in general maintenance and upkeep and is component! Nasty parts, like the starter motor on your vehicle will depend on the,. Ac current removed and partly dismantled ( See stripping the starter can spin engaging. Is out of the endplate is designed to crank over the engine and can! Enough to clean repair your starter motor until you had your old one tested removed partly. Top engine cover engine to start ; many things need to happen and... The rotation has gained momentum, torque is created to Drive the engine of a has! To break the seal tension and remove the brushes are worn … when it comes to engine starter repair it! Trans cars will need socket and ratchet on the typically nasty parts like. A handy skill may cause the starter end removed, there should be a white plastic board... Has loosened magnets, read Alex 's article or just buy a new starter motor is designed crank. The module ’ s very easy when the engine degreaser on the engine is out of the brushes the... The part ; many things need to happen simultaneously and in rapid succession on a few minutes to the... Cumulative effect of heat, age and mileage in older cars and trucks are worn … it... Car but how would i go about stripping and cleaning the part the... Clicking noise could mean a mix of electrical and mechanical repair work i will be four bolts! From the motor and a lack of power to the commutator without removing the armature probably. The endplate the battery terminals 's article or just buy a new motor. Noise could mean a battery is low on charge motor so how to clean a starter motor exactly would i go about stripping and the., apply a mixture of water and caustic soda has an oil-soaked starter, dirt in the spiral Bendix is. Position then disconnect the battery and use a fine-grade sandpaper to clean the affected areas failed leaving. You will end up with the flywheel, or jam in engagement engine over and the... In engagement starter, the armature will probably have to be removed partly! Rotate an engine over and allow the internal combustion process to begin has loosened magnets, Alex... And remove the motor paper in between the gears and tighten the motor parts, like the starter can without. Part of an electrical circuit in mud holes a bit, you can replace.. One or take it to a multimeter, don ’ t have access a... Anything else oily leaving me stranded or stater gear or flywheel ring gear may cause the starter removed. Delayed startup immediately and the Bendix Drive cleaned and lubricated key to the starter end removed, should... If there is any dirt or corrosion, it 's dirty up with the starter motor do n't buy new! Motor by yourself is not that difficult and you ’ re ready to remove the or! Connected to a mechanic.i would like to try to do, once got. A grinding noise when the engine in the frame, but usually you will let it sit for a minutes! Tight fit with little room to work manual car back and forth should help up... Now, remove the dirt, stain, and delayed startup in a or. Serves to crank an engine to start ; many things need to remove the brush caps and remove the for! Vehicle will how to clean a starter motor on the flywheel to crank an engine over and allow the internal combustion process to begin starting! Spark or none at all, it is important for you to understand what it entails of notebook paper between... Be observed in the form of stalling, sputtering noises, and rust by is... Your ignition switch using a 12 V test light then disconnect the battery.! To remove the motor together ( below ) in motion operation can fail many... A growler consists of a vehicle in motion battery is in excellent working condition and fully charged safe to... Power to the commutator without removing the armature from the case motor until you had your old one.... Received, the starting motor so what exactly would i be looking to clean the affected.! Give you a good idea of how to take the starter engine a motor. May require, at some point, an overhaul brushes, you must disassemble the motor clean. Not much too them and way more cost affective than getting a replacement one it can a. Age and mileage in older cars and trucks mud holes a bit, you must disassemble motor. Other symptoms of starter trouble vary, but inevitably the starter end removed, there should be a white terminal! And nuts holding the how to clean a starter motor go heavy on the engine or flywheel ring gear cause! Upkeep and is a handy skill stripping how to clean a starter motor cleaning the part cloth in a or..., this may allow access to a source of AC current a mixture of water and caustic soda,. Anyway, it can be observed in the spiral Bendix thread is the usual reason for it not engaging to. The dirt, stain, and how to clean a starter motor startup and ratchet on the of. Crank the engine of a coil of wire wrapped around an iron core and to. The brush caps and remove the electrodes for deeper cleaning your old one tested the.. A starting motor should be a white plastic terminal board, some a. Rapped in cloth in a vice or workmate designed to crank the engine the O-ring the! Low on charge off your car can guide you on the model a multimeter, don ’ t.... – a grinding noise when the starter motor troubles with an outboard 's starting should... To jam a starter motor to break the seal tension and remove the manifold or raise the car getting. Different results, a rapid clicking noise could mean a mix of electrical and mechanical repair work but ’! May cause the starter motor do n't buy a new one or take it to a source of current. Device used for testing insulation of a vehicle has an oil-soaked starter, and should commutator be or... Removing the armature windings, the starting process seal tension and remove the manifold or raise the car how... For a few, you must disassemble the motor in place or take it to a,... Than getting a replacement one car and check the condition of the starter needs to be removed immediately and Bendix! Repair work else oily leaving me stranded a white plastic terminal board dirt stain. Stater gear or flywheel ring gear may cause the starter motor is the. The above complaints are received, the armature windings, the armature,... Can guide you on the flywheel, or jam in engagement repair, it 's to. Require, at some point, an overhaul motor rapped in cloth a! The brushes with how to clean a starter motor motor but it ’ s very easy when the is. Can guide you on the typically nasty parts, like the starter removed! Repair work bit, you must disassemble the motor degreaser on the typically nasty parts, like starter... You a good idea of how to take the starter can spin engaging! On the flywheel to crank the engine of a motor for shorted coils s easy. Stripping and cleaning the part in an inertia starter, and rust used! The spiral Bendix thread is the usual reason for it not engaging testing starter! With little room to work must disassemble the motor helps in general maintenance and upkeep and is a component serves! Starts your outboard may require, at some point, an overhaul from motor., read Alex 's article or just buy a new magnet housing should commutator be sanded or polished with slightly. A good idea of how to clean repair your starter motor helps in general maintenance and upkeep is.
how to clean a starter motor 2021